“A brand is a selection of promises that we make and keep.” – Brian Scudamore
Brian Scudamore is Founder and CEO of O2E Brands, which focuses on home services and is the umbrella company 1-800-GOT-JUNK?, Wow 1 Day Painting, and Shack Shine. Brian has made it his mission to help people become entrepreneurs through his franchises.
For more, explore the transcript of this episode.
Topics discussed with Brian Scudamore
- 00:02:22 – How Brian’s grandparents influenced his path to entrepreneurship
- 00:04:41 – The birth and growth of 1-800-GOT-JUNK
- 00:09:35 – The power of a brand
- 00:16:33 – Creating a franchise
- 00:21:45 – Embracing competition
- 00:026:00 – Bouncing back from struggles
- 00:33:55 – Turning down a buyout offer
- 00:39:24 – Growth over time as an entrepreneur
Brian Scudamore Resources
- Shaquille O'Neal
- Big Chicken
- Shack Shine
- Wow 1 Day Painting
- Robert Herjavec
- Shark Tank
- Erik Church
- Waste Management
- How I Built This with Guy Raz
- Founders Stories
Books Written by Brian Scudamore
- WTF?! (Willing to Fail): How Failure Can Be Your Key to Success by Brian Scudamore and Roy H. Williams
- BYOB: Build Your Own Business, Be Your Own Boss by Brian Scudamore
Learn More About This Topic
This TED talk by Sir Harold Evans outlines the first franchises of beauty salons owned by women.
The International Franchise Association has put together a great list of resources, including best practices and slides from recent conventions.
Here’s a great list of TED talks all about the power of branding.
Hubspot has compiled a great guide to all things branding.
Check out our interview with Dan Frommer about how brands can remain powerful by adapting to the modern consumer.