About the Company
Ezra was founded in 2018 to build the world’s first fast, accurate, and affordable way to screen for cancer everywhere in the body. To do this, they’ve harnessed the power of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, often called an MRI, and dramatically improved the efficiency of imaging and analyses using Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. To date, they’ve decreased the cost of getting a full body MRI scan by 80% and the time required to get scanned by 66%.
Every year, more than 20,000,000 Americans are diagnosed with cancer. Without a fast, accurate, and affordable way to proactively screen the entire body for cancer, many of these diagnoses come too late. For some types of cancer, including colon cancer, once it reaches Stage 4 your chances of survival are just 4%.
Ezra’s goal is to bring down the cost and time required to get screened for cancer by an order of magnitude—reducing both by 90%+. Ezra is an incredible example of using AI and ML to dramatically improve the effectiveness of an existing technology in order to bring down costs within a critical segment of healthcare.
You can save $150 off an Ezra screening by using promo code Outlier150 when checking out on Ezra.com.
Ezra | How it Works | Twitter
- (00:00:00) - Introduction
- (00:01:21) - Origin Story of Ezra
- (00:03:22) - How Ezra Tried 12 Different Ideas Around Cancer Screening
- (00:08:22) - Screening for Cancer with Ezra vs Best Practices Today
- (00:11:01) - MRI 101: A Simple Explanation of Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- (00:14:45) - The Dawn of Proactive Healthcare and The Patient Will See You Now
- (00:19:58) - The Hippocratic Oath, Doing No Harm, and Early Screening
- (00:25:09) - How Often Should We All Be Screening for Cancer?
- (00:28:54) - What It’s Like to Get an MRI Scan
- (00:33:41) - Ezra’s Approach to AI and FDA Approval of AI Updates
- (00:41:06) - Breaking Down Ezra’s Asset Light Business Model
- (00:46:02) - Why the Future of Healthcare is Proactive and Holistic
- (00:50:36) - The Highs and Lows of Building Ezra
- (00:54:05) - Lessons Learned Building a Mission Centric Company
Learn how Ezra has brought down the cost of early cancer detection by 80% and the time required to get screened by 66%—all by harnessing the power of AI and Machine Learning to make MRIs an order of magnitude more efficient. As well as how they’ve built an asset light business in healthcare and what it takes to be a software-centric business within a heavily regulated industry.
“I realized that the main reason why people die of cancer is because they found it too late. And the main reason we still find cancer late for people is because there’s no easy way to screen for cancer in the body that’s fast, accurate, and affordable. And so, I decided to focus on that problem.” — Emi Gal
Related Book: The Patient Will See You Now
Ezra is an amazing example of a healthcare company that’s putting power in the hands of individuals—in this case helping them proactively screen for cancer as often as they’d like. Which is part of a much larger trend that’s redefining the future of healthcare. To learn more about it, there’s no better book than The Patient Will See You Now by Eric Tupol MD.
The Patient Will See You Now: The Future of Medicine Is in Your Hands by Eric Topol MD
- A trip to the doctor is almost a guarantee of misery. You'll make an appointment months in advance. You'll probably wait for several hours until you hear "the doctor will see you now"-but only for fifteen minutes! Then you'll wait even longer for lab tests, the results of which you'll likely never see, unless they indicate further (and more invasive) tests, most of which will probably prove unnecessary (much like physicals themselves). And your bill will be astronomical. In The Patient Will See You Now, Eric Topol, one of the nation's top physicians, shows why medicine does not have to be that way. Instead, you could use your smartphone to get rapid test results from one drop of blood, monitor your vital signs both day and night, and use an artificially intelligent algorithm to receive a diagnosis without having to see a doctor, all at a small fraction of the cost imposed by our modern healthcare system. Emi Gal loves the book and considers the shift in power from doctors to patients essential for the future of healthcare.
- Buy it now: Print | Ebook | Audiobook
If you enjoyed this deep dive on Ezra, you’ll love our other interviews with leading health and wellness focused founders:
- #127 Fount: Bringing the Performance Secrets of the U.S. Navy SEALs to Everyone | Andrew Herr, Founder & CEO
- #116 HVMN and Ketone-IQ: Next-Level Metabolic Health with Ketones for the U.S. Navy SEALs and The Rest of Us | Michael Brandt, Co-Founder & CEO
- #144 Kettle & Fire, Perfect Keto, and Surely Wine: Spotting Trends and Building D2C Brands to Own Them | Justin Mares, Serial Entrepreneur
- #118 Forward: Bringing Healthcare as a Product to a Billion People | Adrian Aoun, Founder & CEO
For more, explore the transcript of this episode.