“It's back to basics—just be a good person and operate with some integrity, and you can be around long enough to see some success for yourself.” – Marshall Haas
Marshall Haas (@marshal) is co-founder and CEO of NEED/WANT, a family of brands that includes Peel and Shepherd. He started his entrepreneurial career at age 21, and has continued to create businesses and products since then. He is an investor in Tiny Capital and Loop Internet, and he’s currently building a collection of cabins in Texas under his brand ofHaas.
To listen to Marshall’s quick interview on habits, routines, and inspirations, click here.
For more, explore the transcript of this episode.
- Marshall's background and path to entrepreneurship
- Influential books
- Need/Want and creating products
- Profit margin is crucial
- The ups and downs of running a physical product business
- On Shepherd and overseas recruiting
- Tweaking and optimizing the business
- Personal projects and ofHaas
- The core principles of business
- Connect with Marshall Haas: Twitter | LinkedIn | Website
- Steve Jobs
- Charlie Munger
- Jon Wheatley
- Y Combinator
- primary goods
- Mod Notebooks
- Joemer Embernate
- Berkshire Hathaway
- Warren Buffett
Books Recommended in This Episode
- Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Tim Ferriss
- Principles by Ray Dalio
Learn More About This Topic
20 Book Recommendations from Charlie Munger
Marshall noted his appreciation for Munger’s business philosophies; this list of books that Munger himself has recommended gives a good depiction of his thought processes.
Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger by Peter D. Kaufman
This collection of Charlie Munger quotes is probably on the bookshelf of every investor.
Charlie Munger: The Complete Investor by Tren Griffin
A great summary of Munger’s investing strategy and mental models for entrepreneurs and investors.
A Few Lessons for Investors and Managers From Warren Buffett by Peter Bevelin and Warren Buffett
A great resource for entrepreneurs and investors alike.
A true collector’s item for the desk of any investing and business nerd.