“Every single one of our products has a very clear aesthetic that we care about. Our goal is to build things that people want to be around.” – Ben Boyer
Ben Boyer is Co-Founder and Executive Chairman of R-Zero, which designs hospital-grade disinfection solutions utilizing UV-C light. Ben is also Managing Director at Tenaya Capital, a leading early-growth stage venture capital firm. He has served on the board of numerous companies, including Smartling, TruSignal, and PlanGrid.
For more, explore the transcript of this episode.
Topics discussed with Ben Boyer
- 00:02:24 – Why R-Zero was created
- 00:13:36 – The perfect time for UVC technology
- 00:16:13 – The challenges of selling in healthcare vs. schools
- 00:18:37 – Lab data vs. clinical data
- 00:21:13 – The R-Zero product line
- 00:26:38 – Hardware and software development at R-Zero
- 00:29:42 – Competitive advantages in the industry
- 00:36:00 – Utilizing the Internet of Things
- 00:39:47 – The investor role vs. the operator role
- 0045:22 – Important milestones for R-Zero
Ben Boyer Resources
- Connect with Ben Boyer: Twitter | LinkedIn | R-Zero | Tenaya Capital
- Niels Vyberg Finsen
- Dr. Richard Wade
- Diamond Princess boat
- Eli Harris
- Linus Lundberg
Terminology from this episode
- UVC (Ultraviolet-C) light.)
- HAI (Healthcare-Associated Infections)
- C. diff (clostridioides difficile)
- E. coli
- R0 (R naught)
- HEPA filter
- Far UV
Learn More About This Topic
The FDA has put together a great guide to UV-C lights and their role in disinfection and slowing the spread of COVID.
Can light stop the coronavirus?
This 2020 TED Talk outlines how UVC can play a part in slowing the spread of coronavirus.
Healthy Buildings: How Indoor Spaces Drive Performance and Productivity by Joseph G. Allen and John D. Macomber
Ben recommends this book for a primer on making indoor spaces safer and healthier.
Check this out for a full explanation of the Internet of Things and how it can be utilized.
5 interesting TED talks to watch to get to grips with IoT
For more on the Internet of Things, explore these TED Talks.