“To me, the three questions that matter when evaluating a management team are, can you ship? Can you sell? And can you hire?” – Alex Rubalcava
Alex Rubalcava (@AlexRubalcava) is Partner of Stage Venture Partners, a pre-Seed and Seed stage venture capital firm that invests in emerging software technology for business-to-business markets. He began his VC career as an analyst at Anthem Venture Partners in 2002, and he as served on the boards of numerous Stage VP companies, including Balto, NotiSphere, SoundCommerce, WhiteFox, SPIDR Tech, Abett, Gray Matter Robotics, and Dyania Health.
For more, explore the transcript of this episode.
Topics discussed with Alex Rubalcava
- 00:02:04 – Alex’s career in investing
- 00:06:41 – Investing in technology
- 00:13:32 – Stage Venture Partners’ investment thesis
- 00:23:30 – Investing in manufacturing and industrial applications
- 00:34:41 – Finding emerging technologies and applications to invest in
- 00:39:04 – Investment opportunities in space
- 00:49:48 – On founder mafias
- 00:52:42 – Attending annual Berkshire Hathaway meetings
- 00:56:51 – Patience and long-term ownership in investing
Alex Rubalcava Resources
- Connect with Alex Rubalcava: Twitter | LinkedIn | Stage Venture Partners
- Anthem Venture Partners
- Gray Matter Robotics
- Thomas Perkins
- Six Sigma
- VeriSIM Life
- Dyania Health
- Vocalytics AI
- Laura Crabtree
- Falcon 9
- Max Mednik
- Rocket Lab
- James Webb Space Telescope
- Kessler syndrome
- First Resonance
- Prewitt Ridge
- Berkshire Hathaway
- Warren Buffett
- Charlie Munger
- Marcelo P. Lima
- Heller House
- Fitness landscape
Books Mentioned in This Episode
- The Power Law: Venture Capital and the Making of the New Future by Sebastian Mallaby
Learn More About This Topic
Check out our interview with Dylan Taylor and learn about the current climate of investing in space.
Our interview with Delian highlights space manufacturing.
Explore everything from the history of modern astronomy to the preparing for spaceflight in this collection of TED talks.
Nasdaq’s primer on investments in the space industry.
A Few Lessons for Investors and Managers From Warren Buffett by Peter Bevelin and Warren Buffett
A great resource for entrepreneurs and investors alike.