“I think we're just optimists. I think that we believe that technology and the culture that we live in will actually improve over time, that there will be more efficiencies across the market, that our lives will improve, that there can be some really great opportunities for wealth creation.” – Eric Markowitz
Eric Markowitz (@EricMarkowitz) is Director of Research of Worm Capital, an investment firm focused on technology innovation and disruption. He worked as an award-winning investigative business journalist with bylines in Inc., The New Yorker, and Newsweek magazine before joining Worm Capital in 2016.
For more, explore the transcript of this episode.
Topics discussed with Eric Markowitz
- 00:03:30 – Background on Worm Capital
- 00:07:43 – Investing in the customer value proposition as it stands
- 00:16:19 – The Worm algorithm for investing
- 00:21:22 – Being an optimistic and open-minded investor
- 00:26:01 – Time horizons and thinking in decades
- 00:32:50 – Conviction and concentration
- 00:42:39 – Constructing a survivable portfolio
- 00:52:22 – Worm theory
- 01:02:00 – Investing in Tesla
Eric Markowitz Resources
- Connect with Eric Markowitz: LinkedIn | Twitter | Worm Capital
- Warren Buffett
- Arne Alsin
- Christopher Tsai
- Charlie Munger
- The Nightcrawler
- Bill Belichick
- Worm theory
- Steve Jobs
- Jeff Bezos
Terminology from this episode
Books Recommended by Eric Markowitz
- The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book That Will Change the Way You Do Business by Clayton M. Christensen
Learn More About This Topic
Subscribe to Eric’s weekly newsletter full of articles and analysis on tech, innovation, science, philosophy, and investing.
Marshall noted his appreciation for Munger’s business philosophies; this list of books that Munger himself has recommended gives a good depiction of his thought processes.
Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger by Peter D. Kaufman
This collection of Charlie Munger quotes is probably on the bookshelf of every investor.
Charlie Munger: The Complete Investor by Tren Griffin
A great summary of Munger’s investing strategy and mental models for entrepreneurs and investors.
A Few Lessons for Investors and Managers From Warren Buffett by Peter Bevelin and Warren Buffett
A great resource for entrepreneurs and investors alike.