“Sleep unlocks life, it unlocks health, it unlocks it longevity. It is the most important pillar of health.” – Alexandra Zatarain
Alexandra Zatarain (@a_zatarain) is Co-Founder and VP of Brand and Marketing at Eight Sleep, a sleep fitness brand. In 2017, Alexandra was named by Forbes to the 30 Under 30 list of young professionals making an impact in the Consumer Technology industry. The same year, she was a speaker at the Forbes Under 30 Summit on the topic of longevity, sleep and technology. Prior to Eight Sleep, Alexandra applied her marketing experience at various startups, academic institutions, and Wall Street organizations. She was raised in Tijuana, Mexico and now lives in New York City. She holds a B.S. in Communication Science from Tecnologico de Monterrey.
For more, explore the transcript of this episode.
Topics discussed with Alexandra Zatarain
- 00:02:06 - The Eight Sleep origin story
- 00:09:32 - The Eight Sleep product
- 00:14:02 - Sleep research and development
- 00:18:29 - The importance of consistent data for innovation
- 00:22:45 - Competition and category creation
- 00:28:51 - Brand vs. category
- 00:32:45 - Sleep fitness as a brand and movement
- 00:43:05 - Benefits and pitfalls of working on a physical product
- 00:49:55 - Eight Sleep's vision of the future
Alexandra Zatarain Resources
- Connect with Alexandra Zatarain: Twitter | LinkedIn | Eight Sleep
- Matteo Franceschetti
- Massimo Andreasi Bassi
- Keith Rabois
- Apple Watch
- Sleep Number
- Wayback Machine
Terminology from This Episode
Books Recommended by Alexandra Zatarain
- Get to Aha!: Discover Your Positioning DNA and Dominate Your Competition by Andy Cunningham
Learn More About This Topic
This interactive page from Harvard gives a good background on all things sleep-related.
This article from the Sleep Foundation includes guidelines for a healthy night routine.
These TED Talks cover everything from the brain benefits of deep sleep to natural sleep cycles.
Check out our interview with Josh Clemente, Founder and President of Levels, a company that also falls in the category of data-driven health and fitness. Levels is a metabolic fitness company that helps people take control of their health using real-time data on their blood glucose levels.
Listen to our interview with Rachel Sanders, CEO of Rootine. Alexandra notes that Rootine’s philosophy as a data-driven, personalized micronutrient subscription service is similar to Eight Sleep’s.